Question: Do I need a boating license to rent a boat?
Answer: No. An exception is made with a rental or lease agreement from a motorboat rental or leasing business (Claytor Lake Water Sports) and completion of a dockside safety checklist.
We go over a dockside safety checklist with you and you get a temporary license for the duration of your rental.
- Personal Flotation Devises (PFD's, ie. life jackets) are included with every rental. We have sizes from infant thru XXXL.
- Alcohol is Strictly Prohibited on All Rental Craft.
- Pets are welcome at no extra charge, but damage fees will incur if they are destructive.
- Please note that our liability insurance coverage does not extend to you, the renter.
- Operator Must be 21 Years Old with a Valid Driver's License. (motorized craft only)
- All drivers (maximum 3 per watercraft) must be present at time of rental for dockside orientation... no exceptions. This is state law and each driver will be given a temporary operator's license.
- Capacity per boat is MAXIMUM CAPACITY and does include children and persons that may be on a towable. No exceptions.
- Fuel is Additional to Rental Fees. Be aware that ski boats use an average of 4 to 6 gallons per hour. Pontoon boats typically average 2 to 3 gallons per hour.
- A credit or debit card may be required to purchase fuel during the months outside of June, July and August.
- Night time use is not allowed. Overnight rentals must be docked between dusk and dawn.
Cancellation fees: 10% charge if cancelled within 5 days of rental start time, 50% charge within 24 hours of rental start time, full charge at time of rental.
However, if AT THE TIME OF your rental (poor forecasts not considered) the weather is such that the average boater would not go out, we will not charge a fee.
PLEASE NOTE that cool, overcast days are not sufficient reason to cancel without being charged. Please do not reserve if this is an issue.
* TO RESERVE ONLINE PLEASE CLICK ON THE TIME UNDER THE BOAT DESIRED!
Please note: when making multi-day reservations, or renting more than one boat, choose "Make another booking" before filling in contact details.
***Please ensure you are careful to choose the correct date and time!
After Labor Day, if you wish to rent a boat on a weekday please call 540.731.8683 in advance to arrange this.